Sunday, May 18, 2014

Helping Hands

 
In todays session I planned and initiated an activity focused on learning foods and the different meals. First, we used plastic toy food to learn the name, color, and pronunciation of each food. Once that skill has been mastered, the children learned the different meals. They then were asked to classify different foods into each meal category in order to gain familiarity with the words. This was especially interesting as culture differences influenced their categorization. I am western and would therefore consider foods such as corn, rice, and curry to be lunch or dinner foods. However, the local students considered them to be breakfast foods. This was a great experience as I learned more about the Sri Lankan culture! After learning the names of the foods and each meal, the children were asked to make cards with the name, picture, and price of their assigned foods.
 
 
 
 
We then had them paste these cards onto either a breakfast, lunch , or dinner poster. This activity was used to ensure that they had understood the lesson which had been taught.

 At the end of the lesson, the local students were asked to present the poster and what they had learned to the OSC students.
Through conducting this activity I was able to increase my awareness of my strengths and areas for improvement. I learned that I do well in organizing these activities and ensuring that they play out smoothly. However, I need to learn to plan activities in which the OSC and local children may create a closer bond. It is important that the OSC children also gain something from this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment