Thursday, April 24, 2014

Helpings Hands

This week I planned and initiated a very exciting activity for Helpings Hands. New Year is a important part of the Sri Lankan culture. It is celebrated in April as opposed to January as it is in the West. During this time of the year families save their money for gifts which they distribute to each family member. Therefore, this is a time when money is tight for many families. I decided to gather different food products for the families of the Helpings Hands local students. In this bag I included flour , dhal, rice, and other basic ingredients. In order to gather enough products, I published a statement in the weekly school newsletter asking students to bring these different food items. Each students was asked to bring these items to their homeroom teachers. Once I gathered all the products, I put them together in red bags made from recycled materials.During this session I distributed these bags. The following is a picture of the bags.






We also had the children complete an activity to practice their knowledge of the names of the different body parts. The activity was a relay race. The students were put into teams and told to sing head should knees and toes at the course. I worked collaboratively with the other student leader to ensure that the activity was carried out effectively.  The following is a picture of this relay race.

No comments:

Post a Comment