Thursday, November 20, 2014

Helping Hands

This week in Helping Hands we began a new unit! I planned and initiated activities to teach the children about the weather. We started off with an activity that caused the kids to collaborate in order to reach their goal. The activity I created was one in which each student was given a card with either an image or a word. These words and images were all associated with weather. The following is a picture of the cards I created.


 

After each child received a card, I timed how quickly they could find their match. This was a fun and active game which served as an introduction to learning the new vocabulary! Later, I explain the different weather terminology. Next, the students created a song and motion for the different weather terms. Finally, we went outdoors and played a fun vocab game. For this game I used terms both from this unit and past units such as animals and body parts. The children ran in a circle and I yelled out different vocab terms. They had to react quickly and pretend to be whichever word I yelled. The kids absolutely loved this game and had large smiles on their faces throughout the game. The following is a picture of them pretending to be snakes and running around the court!


Overall I believe that this activity has greatly developed my creativity skills. Each week I have to think of a new and fun way to mix learning and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment