Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Helping Hands

This week in Helping Hands we worked on reinforcing what we had taught on the names of body parts last week and worked on introducing oneself. We brought in a dog and the students identified the different body parts that they had learned the week before.




For example legs, arms, and head. However, they also learned new terms which only applied to animals such as tail and paws. I was amazed by how excited they were to see a dog. The teachers from the local school took pictures of the dogs and were in disbelief with its beauty. This really surprised me because where I am from seeing a golden retriever is very typical and something you see on a daily basis. Therefore, it made me see the difference between the Sri Lankan and American cultures.





 In the second activity, the kids had to introduce themselves, state their age, and name their favorite color. They struggled with sentence structure and confidence. I worked collaboratively with the other group leader to give them more confidence and make them feel comfortable speaking in English. I show commitment to this activity by attending weekly session and through planning activities for each week in my spare time. I hope to continue with this service group until I graduate from OSC.

No comments:

Post a Comment