Friday, January 17, 2014

Goals for Week Without Walls

In a week my classmates and I will leave for our Week Without Walls trip. I chose to do the Coast to Coast trip to Aragon Bay. We will be doing a mix of biking and driving all the way from Colombo to Aragon Bay. Throughout this trip will be in very unfamiliar environments. We will learn to consider ethical implications. Firstly, at certain times we will be biking through a Muslim communities. Here we have to be very aware of  how dress. We must wear modest clothing in order to avoid offending individuals of the community. Second, we will be biking through areas where people have very little. We must ensure to be respectful of the socio economic differences.

We will be biking a total of 250 km. On average we will be riding about 50 km per day. I have not ridden a bike in many years. I believe that the large amount of biking will help me develop my skills. I also hope that I will become fitter and healthier from this experience. Biking with a large group of people will teach me to collaborate with others. Communication during biking in a group is crucial. If one person fails to communicate, it may cause an accident and many injuries. It is important to be extremely attentive throughout the biking experience.

 I will also develop my teaching skills. Each week with Helping Hands I teach children English. This is extremely rewarding and enjoyable. During week without walls we will visit a school. Here we will both teach the students and learn from the students.

I am very excited for this trip and cannot wait to begin this amazing journey!




No comments:

Post a Comment