Saturday, September 28, 2013

CAS Week 1

In Helping Hands this week we focused on learning colors and articles of clothing. I planned and initiated a game in which the students were able to learn and have fun. The students were split into three teams. Each member of the teams took turns running to the end of the field, putting on articles of clothing( hat, shirt, pants, bag), describing their new outfit, taking off the clothing from the activity,and running back to their team to tap the next participant. The use of a relay race allowed the students to be active and use their energy. The students were extremely enthusiastic and cheered throughout the race. The students learned new colors and the names of the different articles of clothing as they described their new outfits. As the weeks pass I can really see my skills in leadership beginning to develop. The following picture is of the colors and clothing game activity.

 
This week I went to my first yoga lesson. It was extremely challenging but a wonderful experience. My favorite part was the 8 minute meditation period. During this time I was able to reflect on my new living conditions. I was able to increase awareness of my areas of growth, I thought about my new life here in Sri Lanka and the new things I have learned in these past weeks. Yoga is a way to learn more about the Asian culture.


I have begun practicing basketball to prepare for the basketball season. I have been playing basketball since a young age and am very passionate about this sport. I hope to make team captain this year, I believe that this will improve my leadership skills and teach my to work collaboratively with others.

In RCCI this week we worked on getting the students to be active and develop their skills in coordination. I worked collaboratively with the other club members as we tried to come up with fun games. At times it was challenging and took a lot of patience, however it was a very rewarding experience. As the meeting progressed I was able to see a difference in the trust and attitude with which the students addressed the OSC students. The students became more comfortable and I was able to see personal relationships beginning to form.

No comments:

Post a Comment